Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Taggie Blanket Tutorial

I have decided to do my first tutorial, yay. Today I will be making a Taggie Blanket, but it is going to be a bit fun and different. Below are all the things I am going to use, material, ribbon's Velcro, button's, clips, zipper and the sewing machine.

 First I measured the zip and decided how big to make my blanket. My zip was a 20cm one so I decided to make the blanket 24cm by 20cm.
 I cut 2 rectangles for the outside of the blanket and another 2 for the lining, so I had 4 in total.

 Next I cut one of the outer fabric and one of the lining fabric in half. Keeping the other two close by for later.
 Next lie down the lining fabric face up, then lie the zipper on top. Once this is done place the outer fabric face down on top.
 Then pin and sew, I used the zipper foot for this.
 Then stretch out the zip and iron the material flat.
 Now repeat with the remaining halves of fabric on the other side of the zipper.
 Once you iron the other side out, stitch along next to the zipper to neaten it all up.
All done, and looking good.
 Next cut 2 inch lengths of some different coloured fabrics (or you can use the same colours you are already using).
 With the pattern side down, fold in half and press. Then open the fabric out again and fold the outer edges into the middle and press. Next fold in and press again. Finally pin it together and stitch all the way down.
Then you will have some long strips of fabric to make some tag's with.
 Then cut some of your tags into a smaller size and thread through some plastic clips. You can use any really, but for saftey, the guide lines for babies are anything that can fit into a film canister is too small.
 I then stitched the end of the clip to hold it in place.
 I am not sure if you can see this, but taking another short piece of tag material, fold down one end to stop it from fraying. Then put a piece of velcro on top, I did this with two pieces of fabric tag. One with the rough side, and one with the softer side of the velro.
  Then stitch on the velcro. Great.
 Taking another length of tag material, put two small pieces of velcro on it so a loop can be formed. This is so you can attach other toys to your taggie. Also it can stop it from getting thrown on the ground and then lost.
 Next cut out some lengths of different sized ribbon's. You could use different textured ribbons, but my bub likes the satin ones.
Now we are going to assemble our Taggie. Lay your lining face up, then lay your previously sewn material (also face up) on top. Looking good.

 Now it is time to arrange your tag's. You can put them wherever you like. Just leave two asside, and leave one end of the taggie free of tags. We will get to that later.
 Now lay the remaining outer piece of material over the lot (face down).
 Now pin everything together, it is best to pin on the tags.
 Now leave this end free, with the two left over tags. Sew the corners and leave about a 15cm hole. Nearly done.
 After sewing all the way around, it should look like this.
 Turn it all inside out and press. Now position the last two tags in the hole.
 Now all you need to do is sew it shut. Yay, you are done!
Here it is, all done. I sewed a button on the end of one of the tags, making sure it was bigger than a film canister. As you can see I have attached those little rings, this is so you can clip it to your pram or attach other toys. I put a zip in as you can now put things in to change it's sound and feel. Cellophane for that crunchy sound, bells, pegs, a squeaky toy.... endless ideas to keep your little one amused. I have made this for my little girl for our trip to London, I need something to keep her busy. She loves button's and the clips on her high chair and pram, so that's why I have added all the different things.

So, all done. I hope you can understand this OK, and you enjoy making one for your little one. Feel free to add your own things to to make it a bit more special.
Em xx

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea Emma! I love the fabric that you used too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a little friend with a birthday next week, and I'm super excited to make him his own version of this taggie.

    I've got a heavier jacket zipper with a chunkier pull tab for little fingers, so I'll use a heavier fabric for the outside material to support the weight of the heavy zippier. Probably some of the corduroy I've got kicking around.

    Thinking about using different prints for each interior panel for visual interest. I like to applique, so maybe a character or two will make it in there.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. je maakt hele leuke dingen ze mooi hoor groetjes van mij dag

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is darling. You are so creative. So much fabric, accessories, yarn, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I've been making tag gives for years. Now I can turn them up a notch! Great idea! Zipper! Clips will be fun too!
    Thanks Emma:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...