Friday, August 12, 2011

Hankie Quilt

A couple of weeks ago I was at my local Salvo's and I found some old hankies, so I snapped them all up for $1. I had a thought of turning them into a quilt, so with my new rotary cutter I made them all the same size. I had to buy a couple more from Best and Less as there wasn't quite enough. I bought a meter of white poplin for $2 and a meter of gingham for $4.
I already had the material for a border and had loads of off cuts of batting. I sewed the off cuts together and put the white poplin behind the hankies as they are a bit thin.
All up the quilt cost me under $10 and I sewed it together quite quickly. I am really happy with it. Also one of the Tuesday hankies was mine when I was little and it still had my name sewed on, unfortunately it was cut off in the squaring them up process.


So Ruby has a new little quilt which was cheap and easy to make. Do you have old hankies at home? maybe you could make your own.
Em xx

1 comment:

  1. What a clever idea and it looks fantastic. As I have not sewn a quilt before this may be the perfect one to start with!!!

    Cheers
    Oriel

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...